Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rock 'Em, Stick a Sock in 'Em

My feet are still pretty wet when it comes to this whole world of blogging and I openly admit I do not have a lot of followers, but one of my friends and diligent followers of the blog has made a request.  He has asked my opinion on Don Cherry, one of Canada's National "Treasures".  I am going to give my opinion and thoughts to this topic and at the end of my rant, I will have attached a link to the Montreal Gazette which was very well written and almost made me consider not writing this blog because the composer of said article and I share very common opinions.  I highly recommend after reading my blog you read this article.

   Don Cherry....for years this man has been a thorn in my side.  There is nothing more I love to do on a Saturday than watch my boys in Blue take to the ice, but then I am subjected in the 1st period to listen to this grumpy old man rant about why he thinks the sky is blue.  When I first read that Don Cherry would be part of the inauguration of Toronto's newest mistake (thank you very much residents of suburban Metro Toronto, you freak'n morons!!!) Rob Ford aka "Chris Farley" (this is opinion 1 I share with the Gazette), I could not believe that a ceremony of this magnitude would involve such a circus act.  I am not here to talk about how much I dislike Rob Ford and how he is going to destroy a great city, but I am here to talk about how Don Cherry should keep his hideous fashion sense and 1950's opinions out of politics.  Here is a man who many people do enjoy watching, because they either respect his opinion or just like to get a laugh, but over the years it's just gotten worse and worse.  He uses his 7 minutes or so to force his opinion on those watching the CBC Hockey Night in Canada Broadcast.  Whether it is a hockey related matter where he is calling out European players for being "sissy's" or going on about politics; which includes his opinions on the Operation in Iran, Afghanistan and surrounding countries.  Poor Ron Maclean sits there and has to listen to him and try to keep him on track, which often times leads to verbal abuse from Cherry directly to Maclean.  As he gets older, Don Cherry does not get wiser, he gets more and more aggressive and inappropriate.  His rants lead to media outcries and usually leaves someone or some group offended.  Yet week after week the CBC parades their circus act out there to yell and scream his thoughts so that people might think, "Hey, he's pretty animated about this, maybe I should think like Don...he makes a good point, all Europeans are "sissy's"."  Don Cherry is the last person that anyone in this country should base their thoughts or opinions on.  He spews verbal diarrhea weekly in hopes that he gets a reaction or that he can look at something such as a mayoral election win and think "I am the reason he won, because I'm Don Cherry Canada's National Treasure."  What Don Cherry needs to realize is that the people who surround him merely agree in hopes that he shuts up!  What I am about to say next may offend people and it's not intended to, but it's how I feel.  On a very regular basis Cherry talks about the "war" and goes on about those participating in the war.  I know that the soldiers have a lot of support in Canada and I support them as well, as much as I disagree with Canada's participation, BUT this is the last thing people want to see or hear about during a hockey game!!!!  Most evenings on the news, most days in the paper we are reminded of the terrible things going on as part of this "war" and the live too soon lost because of it, BUT again, this is the last thing someone wants to see during a hockey game!!!  This is just another example of Cherry pushing his beliefs and opinions down the throats of Canadians.  If Cherry was sitting on his perch telling people to go to church or believe in the God he believes in they wouldn't stand for it.  For some people politics are as big as religion, so I ask; CBC why are you not doing anything???

Dear CBC,
   DO SOMETHING FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!  Don Cherry is an angry, bitter, racist and opinionated old man who needs to be silenced.  I have never met the man, but I don't imagine he'd be easy to get along with if I did.

Dear Don Cherry,
   Just go away.  When you die, despite a lot of peoples desires you will be celebrated as a Canadian Hero.  Can't you just wait until you die to get undeserved respect??? 

 
   Again, read this article...better written then mine, but he get's paid for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment