Friday, November 5, 2010

Thanks for Helping Us Win the World Series...Now Take Your MVP Trophy and Piss Off!

So I haven't blogged in a couple of days because I've been off from the job that actually pays me, so I haven't had compute access as often as I do when at work, but today I saw a story on the ticker on SportsCentre that just made me angry.
  Edgar Renteria was let go by the Giants today when they opted out of his option year which would have paid him $9.25 million next season.  This was obviously a business decision, free up some cash so you can try to bring in another big bat which they have already admitted they need to try and repeat as Champs next year but Renteria wasn't awful this season.  He batted .276 with an OBP of .332 and Slugging percentage of .375.  Now he only had 3 home runs but he has also never hit more than 16 in his entire career, but he has two big ones from this years World Series.
   Now my beef isn't so much with the fact that the Giants cut him, right after he was named the MVP of the World Series, who pretty much won the clinching game for them, but that they put this contract together.  Obviously his term of payment for next year has a lot to do with performance bonuses.  I can't imagine that he was signed for $9.25 million over two years.  Obviously the performance of the ball club and his contributions lead us to this figure. 
   Ball clubs throw all these performance bonuses into contracts of these players to motivate and help their chances of landing a said player.  You can't tell me that when Renteria was signed in the off season that the Giants actually thought they would compete for the World Series and that Renteria would be one of the key reasons.  The treatment of Edgar Renteria and 2 time World Series MVP is simply unfair and a kick in the nuts.  I certainly hope that Renteria lands with another contender for next season and finds himself in the World Series, NLCS or NLDS agains the Giants and he shows them that he maybe was worth $9.25 Million.

Dear San Fransico Giants,
     You are worse than Anna Nicole Smith...you used an old man to get ahead.  I hope you and your fans enjoy this win cause it'll be the last one you have for another 54 Years!!!  You now have the Curse of the Ria on you...nobody wants anything ending in Ria on them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment